www.archive-org-2012.com » ORG » D » DALEHOLLOWLAKE

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".

    Archived pages: 339 . Archive date: 2012-11.

  • Title: Clay County Chamber of Commerce
    Descriptive info: .. Clay County Chamber of Commerce.. This email address is being protected from spambots.. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Home.. Featured Article.. Archived Articles.. Dale Hollow Lake.. History of the Lake.. Cumberland River.. Obey River.. Marinas.. Clay County.. History.. The Story of Clay County.. Driving Tour.. Civil War Trails.. Historic Downtown.. Clay County Photos.. Community.. Celina.. Moss.. Hermitage Springs.. Pea Ridge.. Free Hills.. Interesting Residents.. Emergency Services tribute.. Local Business.. Directory.. Members.. Restaurants.. Shopping.. Living Retirement.. Utility Information.. Schools Education.. Library.. Friends of the Library.. Senior Center.. Parks Recreation.. Real Estate.. Climate Weather.. Churches.. Health Care.. The Chamber.. Economic Development.. Government Information.. Three Star.. Important Numbers.. Chamber Membership.. Map.. Brochures.. Information Request.. Stay and Play.. Events.. Tourism.. Outdoors.. Photos.. Chili Cookoff Photo's.. 2012 Chili Cookoff Photos.. Moon Shine Daze Photo's.. Festivals.. Moonshine Daze.. Skip to content.. A Home for all Seasons.. DALE HOLLOW LAKE.. Destination Dale Hollow Excerpts from May 2011 Greg Little's a.. CLAY COUNTY.. Clay County and the Town of Celina provide "A Home for All Seasons" The Cumbe.. Chamber of Commerce.. The Clay County Partnership Chamber of Commerce is a nonprofit organization wh.. Six Full Service Marina's in Clay County on Beautiful Dale Hollow Lake along wi.. Around Clay County.. W.. hat a wonderful site!.. I've never seen so much information on the front page of a site and have it look not too busy, just the right amount of space and information, Great Job.. "It has been a pleasure working with the Clay County Chamber".. Richard,.. Webdesign.. Why pick Us.. Tennessee Downtowns.. MTIDA.. Edge Trekker.. ACCT.. TVA.. The state of Tennessee recognizes the importance of successful community development best practices and its impact on sustaining economic growth.. The Three-Star program helps rural and urban Tennessee communities achieve excellence in community development by emphasizing foundational steps and targeting community strengths to improve quality of life and grow jobs.. The program sets high standards and incentives like no other state-run program in the nation.. It helps communities focus on their strengths and address areas of concern to better prepare their area for economic growth.. The Three-Star program is an important component of the state’s economic strategy that helps communities set strategic goals that will truly make a difference today and well into the future.. For decades, a bustling downtown was the social, cultural and financial lifeblood of communities across America.. With today’s interstates spidering through land that used to be thought of as “out there,” Main Street’s shops and diners, once filled with familiar faces, have been competing with big box stores and parking decks in sprawling bedroom communities.. Here in Tennessee, we’re not ready to let downtown become a memory.. Tennessee joins a growing national movement to improve the business climate in America's traditional downtowns.. Main Street works with these communities to provide technical assistance, training and guidance to improve the economic, social, cultural and environmental well-being of traditional commercial districts.. The “Main Street Approach to Revitalization”™  ...   www.. Cumberlands.. org Edge Trekker was made possible with a grant from USDA Rural Development, Tennessee Department of Tourism Development and numerous other private foundations and donations from tourism stakeholders in the Cumberlands.. The mission of the ACCT is to assist rural communities impoverished by environmental degradation and its consequences in making their home-place-watersheds healthier places to live and work.. The ACCT is supported by an innovative partnership among the Office of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Enforcement (OSM), concerned with environmental reclamation; AmeriCorps VISTA, concerned with poverty; and by local community improvement/watershed groups.. The ACCT began placing determined, college-trained men and women for a year of service in rural mining communities in 2001.. OSM/VISTAs work directly with community members to build local capacity, encourage environmental stewardship, enhance outreach and education, engage in economic development and assist in the professional development of OSM/VISTAs and their sponsoring organizations.. With its Support Office in Beckley, WV, the ACCT works throughout seven Appalachian states (Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia) and is sponsored by the Citizens Conservation Corps of West Virginia.. The Tennessee Valley Authority, a corporation owned by the U.. S.. government, provides electricity for 9 million people in parts of seven southeastern states at prices below the national average.. TVA, which receives no taxpayer money and makes no profits, also provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system and assists utilities and state and local governments with economic development.. Clay County Events.. Sat Dec 01 @08:00.. -.. 05:00PM.. MISTLETOE MARKET.. Sat Dec 15 @14:00.. Christmas Parade.. View Full Calendar.. Clay County Weather.. Celina, TN, US.. Now.. Fair.. 30 F, Windchill: 30 F.. Wind: 0 mph N.. Humidity: 97%.. Visibility: 0 mi.. pressure: 30.. 39 in steady.. Sunrise: 6:24 am.. Sunset: 4:30 pm.. Sun.. Sunny.. Hi: 65 F, Low: 33 F.. Mon.. Partly Cloudy.. Hi: 65 F, Low: 41 F.. Chamber of Commerce Location.. See Larger map.. Monthy Featured Business.. Dale Hollow 1 Stop BBQ.. OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK - 931-243-4445.. News Gallery.. INFORMATION REQUEST.. Information provided from the Chamber includes, but is not limited to the following:.. Relocation.. Visitor Guides.. Marina's Camping.. Maps.. To request information from the Chamber click on the link provided.. Also please take a look at our links below for more information.. Get to know us better.. Clay County is waiting for you.. Chamber Address.. 424 Brown St.. Celina, TN 38551.. Useful Links.. ♦.. TN Products.. ♦.. LocalTable.. net.. TNVacation.. com.. TN.. Gov.. Standing Stone.. TNECD.. gov.. Invest TN.. Now Playing.. TN Trails.. Social Links.. Let us know if you like us.. Check out the videos.. Get in touch.. Give us a call at.. +1 (931) 243-3338.. Our Fax number.. +1(931) 243-6809.. Email us at.. General Information.. You are here:.. Top.. Copyright 2012 Clay County Chamber of Commerce.. All Rights Reserved.. Designed by.. JoomlArt.. Joomla!.. is Free Software released under the.. GNU General Public License.. Site Developed Maintained.. by Archon Sales Marketing.. ebsite Division..

    Original link path: /
    Open archive

  • Title: Featured Article
    Descriptive info: Around Clay County September.. August, 2012.. July, 2012.. January, 2011..

    Original link path: /home-page-dale-hollow-lake/featured-article.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Archived Articles
    Descriptive info: Filter.. Month.. Jan.. Feb.. Mar.. Apr.. May.. Jun.. Jul.. Aug.. Sep.. Oct.. Nov.. Dec.. Year.. 2000.. 2001.. 2002.. 2003.. 2004.. 2005.. 2006.. 2007.. 2008.. 2009.. 2010.. 2011.. 2012.. 2013.. 2014.. 2015.. 2016.. 2017.. 2018.. 2019.. 2020.. 5.. 10.. 15.. 20.. 25.. 30.. 50.. 100.. All.. Resolving Jail Dilemma.. Nearly 50 yars old - The current Clay County Jail was built in 1963 and consideration of.. What's New in 1.. 5?.. This article deliberately archived as an example.. As with previous releases, Joomla!..

    Original link path: /home-page-dale-hollow-lake/featured-article/archived-articles.html
    Open archive
  •  

  • Title: Dale Hollow Lake
    Descriptive info: Destination Dale Hollow.. Excerpts from May 2011.. Greg Little's article CBJ editor.. Dale Hollow Lake is crucial economic driver for the Upper Cumberland.. It is certainly one of the most well known lakes in this part of the world - and is known throughout the country, for that matter.. Dale Hollow Lake is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the Upper Cumberland Region.. This massive lake stretches from the Gainesboro area in the west to Byrdstown area in the east, and to the North well into Kentucky.. There are 14 commercial marinas located around the lake, seven U.. Army Corps of Engineers recreation areas and two state parks.. Dale Hollow Dam and Lake are under the jurisdiction of the Corps of Engineers.. The project was completed in 1943, its main purpose being flood control, hydroelectric power production and to improve water quality for domestic and individual use.. Of course, there is much more.. One of the highlights for anyone using the lake is fishing.. It it well know for having trophy smallmouth bass.. It's the lake linked with.. Billy Westmoreland, famed smallmouth angler from Celina.. Smallmouth in the range of 14 to 18 inches are common with a large number of fish in the four to six inch range available.. Larger trophy fish are quite possible for anglers.. Other fish at the lake include largemouth bass, walleye, muskie, lake and rainbow trout, crappie as well as channel and flathead catfish.. The Obey River below the dam provides a year-round, cold-water habitat for rainbow and brown trout.. Another very crucial use of the lake is recreation, including houseboat rentals.. These popular rentals attract families and  ...   in public waters supports a significant recreational fishery which generates a substantial amount of economic activity for local and regional economies.. This facility is also involved in the conservation of imperiled freshwater, non-game fishes.. There is a visitor's center in Celina which includes a tour of the facilities as well as an aquarium, nature area and a public fishing area.. Around 50,000 people visit the facility each year.. The hatchery has an annual budget of approximately $1 million.. Camping is another crucial part of the economic picture for the Dale Hollow Lake area.. There are a wide variety of camping opportunities, from primitive to full service RV hookup sites.. There are close to 40 different camping areas around the lake.. As for the lake itself, it features.. 620 miles of shoreline.. Most of the shoreline is heavily wooded and rock outcroppings are common.. Development is restricted to marinas and day-use areas.. That feature is one of the reasons the primitive nature of the lake makes it so popular among visitors.. The clear water, too, is a major attraction of the lake.. The remote location and lack of development keeps the water quality of the lake very high.. In fact, it is common to find weed growth as deep as 30 feet because the water is so clear.. All of these factors, and many more, are what make Dale Hollow Lake a top destination for visitors as well as people from the region.. Long, warm summers with mild winters provide a host of outdoor activities.. that enthusiasts can enjoy year-round which include:.. Hiking.. Cycling.. Boating.. Canoeing.. Fishing.. Camping.. Hunting.. Nature Walks.. Bird Watching.. Dale Hollow Lake Menu..

    Original link path: /dale-hollow-lake.html
    Open archive

  • Title: History of the Lake
    Descriptive info: Each year the lake provides recreational opportunity's to millions of visitors.. Because of the climate and relatively temperate climate and relatively long recreation season, visitors have many opportunities to fish, hunt, camp, picnic, boat, canoe, hike, ride horseback, and enjoy the outdoors.. Dale Hollow Lake belongs to you.. Treat your lake and surrounding area with respect by keeping it clean and attractive.. Enjoy.. yourself, have a safe visit and come again.. The Dale Hollow Lake Shoreline Management Plan.. provides policies for the effective long-range management and protection of.. entrusted natural resources.. These public lands are managed to allow the shoreline and forested hillsides to remain in their.. natural state with no provisions for private exclusive use.. Enjoy these unique resources while helping to protect them for generations to come.. "Take only pictures, leave only footprints".. HISTORY.. Dale Hollow Dam and Lake was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1938 and the River and Harbor Act of 1943.. Power generating units were added in 1948, 1949 and 1953.. The project was designed by the U.. Army Corps of Engineers and built by private contractors under the supervision of he Corps.. The dam, power-plant and reservoir are operated by the Nashville District of the Corps of Engineers.. Dale Hollow Dam is located approximately three miles East of Celina, Tennessee on the Obey River, 7.. 3 miles above its juncture.. with the Cumberland River at river mile 380.. 9.. Dale Hollow Lake covers portions of Clay, Pickett, Overton and Fentress Counties  ...   day from 7 AM to 4 PM.. The lake abounds with fish and wildlife and is the home of one of the largest wintering Bald Eagle populations in the area.. The.. magnificent birds are generally seen from mid-December through mid-February.. SCUBA DIVING and BOATING.. Dale Hollow's crystal clear waters makes scuba diving a popular pastime.. Divers must display a "Diver Down" flag in the area where they are diving.. Boaters should be alert to the "Diver Down" flag and keep a safe distance away.. For more information on scuba diving and boating regulations, contact the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, (1-800-262-6704).. THE FRIENDS OF DALE HOLLOW LAKE, INC.. The Friends of Dale Hollow Lake, Inc.. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the protection and conservation of Dale Hollow and support of the Corps of Engineers.. For membership information call 931-243-3136.. THE DAM and POWER PLANT.. Dale Hollow is one of the multipurpose projects that make up the Corps of Engineers' system for development of the water resources of the Cumberland River Basin.. This system is an important part of a larger plan of development for the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.. As a major unit in the system, Dale Hollow Dam and Lake functions to control the flood-waters of the Obey River and contribute to the reduction of flood levels at municipal, industrial and agricultural areas along the Cumberland, lower Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.. Information on a new book on the History of Dale Hollow Lake written by Darren Sheryl Shell..

    Original link path: /dale-hollow-lake/history-of-the-lake.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Cumberland River
    Descriptive info: About the Cumberland River.. During the early colonial period, the river was known as "Warioto" to the local Native Americans and as "Shauvanon" by French traders.. It was also known as the "Shawnee" or "Shawonoe" before being known by its current name.. Important first as a passage for hunters and settlers, the Cumberland River also supported later riverboat trade which reached to the Ohio and.. Mississippi.. rivers.. Villages, towns and cities were located at landing points along its banks.. Through the middle of the 19th century, settlers depended on rivers for trading and travel.. In 1750,.. Dr.. Thomas Walker.. led a party of hunters across the.. Appalachian Mountains.. from.. Virginia.. , mapped and named the river.. for.. Prince William, Duke of Cumberland.. Previous to Walker's trip, the Cumberland River had been called.. Wasioto.. by.. Native.. Americans.. and.. Rivere des Chaouanons.. , or "river of the Shawnee," by French traders.. The river was also known as the.. Shawnee.. River.. (or.. Shawanoe River.. ) for years after Walker's trip.. In more recent history, a number of severe floods have struck various regions that the river flows through.. In April of 1977, Harlan, KY and many surrounding communities were inundated with floodwaters, destroying most of the homes and businesses within the flood plain of the Cumberland River.. This event led to the building of the Martins Fork Dam for flood control, the diversion of the Poor Fork around the city of Harlan, KY, as well as the diversion of the river through a mountain cut in Loyall, KY.. In late April and early May 2010, due to extensive rains, the Cumberland River overflowed its banks and flooded Nashville and Clarksville.. The downtown area was ordered  ...   a three-night stop in Nashville where the men’s wives met them to enjoy the Grand Ol’ Opry, and featured an overnight at Granville to experience the Saturday night bluegrass music at the Sutton General Store.. Gainesboro was the next stop on Sunday.. The two men climbed muddy banks and walked to the square, where they enjoyed the unique atmosphere.. “No matter which way we went around that square it was an uphill trip,” Cowan said with humor.. “We thought that was interesting.. ”.. A broken bracket on one of the twin diesels that power the boat caused them to anchor for the night just above the mouth of the Roaring river.. The next morning, Beberniss removed the bracket and climbed the bank to the Neilson factory whose shop personnel welded the broken part, allowing Annie to continue her journey up river to their final destination here.. The boat.. Beberniss, with help and support from his wife Carol, built the wooden-hull craft over a period of 16 years while living near Houston, TX and practicing medicine as an emergency care physician.. He built the hull and decks, and furniture and trimmings turning every screw and even planing boards himself.. After launching the boat from League City, TX, a trip along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, into Mobile Bay, and up the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway led to Florence, where Ron and Carol now make their home.. Cowan and his wife reside in Athens, AL and are frequent travel companions of the Bebernisses.. Living close together, both men use Florence as a base to explore the rivers of the eastern United States.. Photos by JAYS PHOTOS, Jay Martin January 1, 2008 with Olympus 770SW Camera..

    Original link path: /dale-hollow-lake/cumberland-river.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Obey River
    Descriptive info: The Obey River is a 47.. 8-mile-long (76.. 9 km) tributary of the Cumberland River in the U.. state of Tennessee.. It joins the Cumberland River near the town of Celina, which is generally considered to be the Cumberland's head of navigation.. Via the Cumberland and Ohio rivers, the Obey River is part of the Mississippi River watershed.. Near its mouth, the Obey is impounded by the U.. Army Corps of Engineers Dale Hollow Reservoir, site of a fish hatchery run  ...   up both major tributaries, the East and West Forks.. This lake is relatively deep due to the height of the dam and the depth of the gorges through which the Obey and its tributaries flowed; the impoundment also enters Kentucky in its Wolf River and Sulphur Creek embayments.. Below the dam the stream makes two sharp bends before entering the Cumberland.. The only major bridge on the Obey, on State Route 53, is located just below the second of these, Peterman Bend..

    Original link path: /dale-hollow-lake/obey-river.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Marinas
    Descriptive info: Cedar Hill Resort.. 705 Cedar Hill Road | Celina, TN 38551 | (931) 243-3201.. Welcome to Cedar Hill Resort on beautiful Dale Hollow Lake.. Dale Hollow Lake is one the cleanest and most pristine lakes in the United States.. Nestled in the Cumberland Mountains of middle Tennessee, it is far away from any major metropolitan area and is a wonderful environment for a family vacation.. Cedar Hill Resort is located on the northwestern end of Dale Hollow Lake about a mile from the Dale Hollow Dam.. Family owned and operated for more than 60 years, we know what it takes to fulfill your vacation needs.. We offer luxurious Houseboat Rentals and lake view Cabin.. Rentals.. Plus, we have a Marina, Restaurant, and Swimming Pool with-in walking distance of every rental cabin.. This makes us one of the most complete resorts on Dale Hollow Lake.. So, whether you are looking for a great place for swimming, skiing, or scuba diving or you are looking for some of the best fishing in the world, check us out! We would love to have you as a guest at Cedar Hill Resort.. Dale Hollow Marina.. 440 Arlon Webb Dr.. | Celina, TN 38551.. Reservation Desk: (800) 321-1669.. Other Inquiries: (931) 243-2211.. Fax: (931) 243-6318.. We are a family resort, family-owned and operated, large enough to offer you a wide range of accommodations; small enough to give you the personal service that makes vacations special.. Because we are known for our cleanliness and attention to detail, we  ...   620 miles of shoreline.. Dale Hollow Lake is considered one of the top fishing spots in the nation.. Holly C.. reek Resort and Marina has Gone Green.. Horse Creek Dock Resort.. 703 Horse Creek Dock Road | Celina, TN 38551-3539.. (931) 243-2125.. Whatever you consider the ideal vacation - playing, fishing, boating, or relaxing, you will find that Horse Creek is THE place.. The Resort is locate on the lake shore of beautiful.. Dale Hollow Lake.. in a scenic valley immediately off TN Hwy.. 52.. Only 5 miles from Celina and some 13 miles from Livingston, TN.. Golf course nearby.. Want to fly in? Airport at Livingston--we'll pick you up.. Conveniently located to provide the entire family with the utmost in.. fishing.. pleasure,.. water sports.. including swimming and skiing, and general relaxation in a secluded setting of unequaled beauty.. Mitchell Creek Marina.. 1260 Livingston Boat Dock Road | Allons, TN 38541.. Phone Numbers:.. 931-823-6666.. 866-533-1842 (toll free).. Email address.. : This email address is being protected from spambots.. Willow Grove Dock Resort.. 11045 Willow Grove Hwy.. | Allons, TN 38541.. We invite you to stay with us while vacationing on the beautiful Dale Hollow Lake.. As you can see, we are located at the center of the lake, giving you quick and.. easy boating access to the rest of Dale Hollow Lake.. Our full service marina can meet all of your boating needs.. We have gas, beer, ice, groceries, ice cream, and other supplies.. We also rent wakeboards, tubes, skis and kneeboards!..

    Original link path: /dale-hollow-lake/marinas.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Clay County
    Descriptive info: Clay County and the Town of Celina provide.. "A Home for All Seasons".. The Cumberland and Obey Rivers meet and offer visual beauty and fishing along with the clear waters of Dale Hollow Lake which is the home of the world record Smallmouth Bass, Rainbow Trout, and German Brown Trout, as well as the  ...   of Cordell Hull’s First Law Office which still stands today in Celina at the Clay County Museum.. Cordell Hull served as Secretary of State for Franklin D.. Roosevelt, fostered the Good Neighbor Policy with Latin America, and developed the United Nations for which he won the Noble Peace Prize in 1945.. Historic Clay County Menu..

    Original link path: /clay-county.html
    Open archive

  • Title: History
    Descriptive info: Clay County, TN was formed from sections of Jackson County Overton County, TN in 1870.. Jackson County gave up lands west from the Kentucky line in Cumberland County, KY, south along a line just east of Celina to the present Jackson County line, west to Macon County, then north to the Kentucky line in Monroe County, KY.. Overton county gave up lands from the Kentucky line in Cumberland County, KY in a southeasterly arc back to the portion given up by Jackson County.. Clay County has been part of 3 states: North Carolina, Tennessee, and the northern portion was south of Walkers Line, which put this portion in Kentucky.. It has been part of six counties: Davidson, Sumner, Smith, Jackson, and Overton Counties in Tennessee with the part that was south of Walkers line being in Cumberland County, Kentucky.. Land grants south of Walkers Line were made by the State of Kentucky for land lying in the State of Tennessee.. They began in 1826 and continued until 1926.. Most of the northern portion was south of Walkers line and at some locations this line extended at least ten miles into present day Clay County.. This is the reason you will find people living in Cumberland County, Kentucky in the 1810 census, and then in 1820 census they are listed as being in Jackson or Overton Counties in Tennessee.. They never really moved.. Editor's Note (from Counties of Tennessee by Austin P.. Foster; Dept.. of Education , Division and History, the State of Tennessee; 1923).. In that part of Clay County taken from Overton County, and in Overton County, John Sevier located 57,000 acres of land of the visit to which he refers in his diary, a copy of which was secured by the Tennessee Historical Society.. After his death, in 1815, his widow moved to the Dale, known later as the Clark Place in  ...   Ridge, Willow Grove (lies under present day Dale Hallow Lake ), Lilly Dale, Maple Grove, Fox Springs, and Neely Cross Roads (AKA Indian Graves).. There are a many communities named for the creek or stream on which they were located.. Among these are Mill Creek, Turkey Creek, Dry Creek, Proctor Creek, Dry Mill Creek, Knob Creek, Little Trace Creek, Pine Branch/ Kettle Creek, Hamilton Branch, and Shanky Branch.. Some of the earliest inhabitants are believed to be the Mississippian Indians, forerunners of the Cherokee.. Other Indian Tribes who once dwelt in the Clay County area were the Shawnee, Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Iroquois.. The earliest white man believed to be in the area was a Frenchman, Martin Chartier, who is believed to have been here as early 1691 in a hunting party with the Shawnee.. It is believed he remained in the area about two years.. One of the first permanent settlers in Clay County was Obediah Terrill, who arrived about 1770.. The Obey River is named for him.. Some of the earliest families to settle in this area were the following: Boone, Crowder, Harpe, Hestand, Lincoln, Longdon, McColgan, McLerran, Miles, Monroe, Moore, Mulkey, Nevins, Newman, Osgathorpe, Pennington, Plumblee, Poindexter, Reecer, Skipworth, Smith, Stone, Strong, Tinsley, Waddell, Whitson, Williamson, York, and Young.. Early life in Clay was based on farming and river transport via the Cumberland River.. For many years, before modern day roads, the Cumberland River was the major form of transport in the Upper Cumberlands, making the ports of Butlers Landing, Bennett Ferry and Celina major distribution hubs.. The early crops grown in this region were wheat, corn, flax, hemp, cotton, and oats.. Tobacco was not an early crop.. Livestock consisted of cattle, hogs, chickens, sheep, and turkeys.. The timber industry has been a major business in the Clay County area since before 1800 and still is today.. Used with permission from author..

    Original link path: /clay-county/history.html
    Open archive

  • Title: The Story of Clay County
    Descriptive info: A BRIEF HISTORY OF CLAY CO.. , TN.. By Landon B.. Anderson.. (Date written - unknown; probably between 1933 and 1944).. (Italicized parenthetical notes added by person unknown, initials E.. R.. G.. , perhaps Edith Gunn).. The Old Town of Celina, in Jackson County, was located on the south bank of the Cumberland River, at its junction with Obed River, many years prior to the start of the Civil War.. (1861).. Prominent families living in the town before the war and for some time after the close were W.. C.. Willis, L.. B.. Peterman, R.. P.. Brown, Captain Hughes, Dr.. Jonathan Davis.. (grandson of Leonard Davis),.. John J.. Brown, Joseph Roberts and James Roberts.. (grandsons of Hugh Roberts and his wife Sarah Davis and children of Jefferson Roberts and his wife, Baskie Stone),.. Landon Oglesby.. (uncle of O.. Maxey).. , L.. T.. Armstrong and Mrs.. Nancy Rich, the mother of Rial, Joseph and Albert Rich.. The former.. (Rial?).. operated a blacksmith shop for two score years, and in his declining years moved to Missouri where he lived until his death.. Joseph served four years in the Confederate Army and soon after his return home, he married the widow Catherine Poindexter, daughter of A.. Green, and with the exception of a short time in New Mexico, lived in or near Celina until his death.. Albert married Miss May Maxey of Tompkinsville, KY.. , and soon after marriage moved to Webb City, MO.. , where they lived until their death.. Other families living near the town (within its present corporate limits) prior to the war, were Isaac Davis.. (son of Leonard Davis).. , who lived in a log house east of the public square which was torn down several years ago by M.. F.. Green who built a new cabin now owned by Mrs.. M.. M.. Smith.. John H.. Stone lived in a log house about one mile south of the public square.. Part of the house is still standing and belongs to H.. Williamson.. Mrs.. Sallie Gearheart lived East of where Martin and J.. Dale now live, on the West side of the old road leading along the hillside to the Gates ferry.. The house in which she lived has long since been destroyed.. Gearheart’s family, at that time, consisted of four daughters: Sarah, Mary, Ruth and Martha, and three sons: Hugh, Ben and Abe.. Sarah married John H.. Stone, Mary married James Terry (or Perry), Ruth married T.. J.. Hudspeth, and Martha married William Campbell Burrus.. The latter three, with their husbands, moved to Texas soon after the close of the war.. (1871).. Hugh Gearheart married Miss Katherine Burris in about 1856, served in the Confederate Army four years, lived near the town of Celina until 1877, when he left here to join his mother and brother, Ben, who had preceded him and located on two farms adjoining each other near Celina, Texas, where they lived until they died.. Abe Gearheart was killed by Sib Williams on New Year’s night (1867) in the street in front of the store house now owned by Mrs.. Ollie Rich.. (Insertion here of a letter from J.. A.. (Abe) Gearheart, Celina, TX.. , dated 14 October, 1970:.. "My father was Benoni Franklin Gearheart, born 2 August, 1852 in or near Celina, TN.. His brother Abe was born 10 March, 1846 (for whom I was named) and was old enough to serve in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.. Abe Gearheart served under the command of Capt.. Bill Hull, father of Cordell Hull.. At the close of the war, a party was given in a vacant store building in Celina, TN.. , and just after the celebration had begun, my uncle Abe was called to the door and was shot dead by Sib Williams, upon which provocation, Capt.. Bill Hull told his family good-bye saying that he would return when he had killed Abe Gearheart’s slayer, Sib Williams.. I remember when I was a small boy Capt.. Bill Hull visited us in our home here in Celina, TX.. And he told us that it had taken him almost 7 years to catch up with Sib in the Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) where he killed him, then returned to his Tennessee home.. ".. "My father, Benoni Franklin Gearheart and his mother Sarah (Sallie) Roberts Gearheart (Hugh’s daughter), widow of Wm.. Jeff.. Gearheart, left Celina, TN.. in 1867.. Three married couples, which were daughters and sons-in-law of Sarah Gearheart, were with them.. They spent nearly 2 years near Independence, MO.. After this sojourn, they moved into Grayson Co, TX.. , arriving at Old Farmington in 1869.. After one year there, they moved to the little town of Murphy in s.. e.. Collin Co.. ; then on to Celina, TX.. In 1871.. "My father and mother (Benoni Franklin Gearheart and Alice O’Brien) were married in November, 1879 and settled on the farm 1 mile East of Old Celina.. Here all of their children were born, and where they resided the remainder of their lives.. Their children were: W.. (Bill), born 2 January, 1881; Sallie, born 19 January, 1883; Hugh Richard, born 29 June, 1886; Addie, born 13 November, 1888; Ben F.. , Jr.. , born 27 May, 1891; Abe, born 9 February, 1893; and Perry, born 9 August, 1895.. ").. William Shields and family lived about one mile East of the public square, adjoining the Fitzgerald farm, known as the Shields farm.. (A part of the house is still standing.. ).. East of the Shields place was owned by Richard Stone, father of William Stone, Judge J.. (Jim Dick) and a daughter, Emily.. (Parenthetical notes along the margin indicate that "Richard Stone was Papa Stone’s greatgrandfather; other children were Susan Ver Peterman; Ida Davis’ mother, Aunt Liz Dales’ grandmother.. I think there are more children according to the census.. " Another note above "Jim Dick’s" name says ‘Abbie’s father’.. The latter (Emily) married James Perdieu, who was killed by Hilary Smith just after the close of the war, in the house in which D.. W.. Cullom later lived for several years, located where Guy B.. Johnson and his sister, Daisy, now live.. The Stone farm is now owned by G.. Gates and J.. Arms.. In the year 1857 Isaiah Fitzgerald married Miss Ann Gearheart.. (daughter of Valentine Gearheart, Jr.. ) (Another note says ‘Valentine Gearheart, son of Exona Parkinson’s(?); Valentine, Jr.. married ________ South; Ann married Isaiah Fitzgerald in 1857.. ’).. They lived in Monroe Co.. , KY.. , until 1857(?) when they moved to the farm East of the public square adjoining the Shields farm.. They raised an interesting family, five boys and as many girls; Lee; Tol; Walker; Clyde and Isaiah; Mattie; Loretta; Maude; Lucy and Allie.. The Fitzgerald family have been closely identified with the history of Celina since the war, especially in educational growth.. All of them have been teachers in the schools in and near the town.. (Miss Maude is teaching now).. Isaiah, Sr.. , was a great advocate of good schools.. He was one of the six who furnished the funds to build Mont Vale Academy and served as Secretary to the Board of Education for several years, which required a good deal of labor which he did without compensation.. He was Deputy Clerk and Master for many years, performing all the duties of the office faithfully and honestly and without criticism.. His wife.. (Ann Gearheart Fitzgerald).. was an exceptional intelligent and lovable woman of the highest type, and was loved and respected by all who knew her.. The family are all dead now save Maude, Clyde, Isaiah and Lucy, the first three now living in Celina, the latter living in Celina, Texas.. The Old town of Celina had one main street (Union) beginning at the top of the river bank and running South East for a distance of approximately 350 yards, and three streets, Water, Walnut and Spring, running westwardly and terminating in the public road leading from the top of the river bank south east to and over the low gap to Livingston and Gainesboro.. Water Street, on top of the river bank, has long since been washed away.. There were two general stores, one occupied by L.. Armstrong and other by Bennett Stone and Oglesby (the latter an uncle of O.. Maxey), one grocery and drug store combined, one hardware, one saddle shop, one blacksmith shop and two saloons.. There were other buildings of less importance.. L.. Peterman’s hotel was located on the north east corner of Union Street.. (.. Parenthetical note: ‘related to the Stones that intermarried with my Roberts and Gearhearts, Bennett Stone was guardian to Joseph B.. and James B.. Roberts, minors, in 1854.. These were grandchildren of Hugh Roberts and his wife Martha Davis, probably the sons of Jefferson Roberts and his wife, Baskie Stone; Jefferson Roberts aged 53 in 1860 census; that Baskie Stone is deceased in 1854 and her brother Bennett Stone was named guardian to sons Joseph B.. Jefferson Roberts was deceased in 1860.. Baskie Stone was sister of great grandma Francis Gates; and Bennett being a wealthy man had building burned, destroyed by Union soldiers, committed suicide soon after.. He had no children but reared some.. I have some documents showing his brain work.. Bennett Stone was very important man in his time.. Bennett lived at Kyle Farm.. Prior to, and for some time after the war, the only means of travel was on foot or horseback.. There were no manufacturing industries, not even a saw mill, in the county.. The log and timber business were unknown.. The lumber used for building purposes was sawed and dressed by hand with drawing knives and planes.. The only means of transporting the different products to market was by flat boats.. All of the town and dwellings were burned down in 1863 by a small company of Yankee guerrillas (and the people robbed of most everything) except the dwelling houses of R.. Brown, Mrs.. Nancy Rich, a log house South of Mrs.. Rich.. (owned by Capt.. John B.. Anderson).. (which was torn down by V.. Spear several years ago) and a small log house owned by Dr.. Jonathan Davis and now owned by Miss Ella Hamilton.. It would perhaps be of interest to some people, now living, to know something about the farms adjacent to the Old Town and the people who owned them prior to and sometime after the war.. The farm on the North Side of the Cumberland River, opposite the town of Celina, was owned by Varney Andrews, on which he lived for many years and sold to Bennett Stone in 1855.. (brother of greatgrandmother Francis Gates).. Sometime near the year 1870 it was purchased by A.. Green.. (greatgrandfather of G.. Stone; J.. Stone married first, Nancy Green.. from Mrs.. Patsy Stone, widow of Bennett Stone, who lived on it for a few years and sold it to Dr.. B.. Plumlee.. H.. H.. Kyle later bought it from Plumlee and it is now owned by Fred Maxey and Dr.. Eagle Bushong.. (The dwelling built by Andrews is still standing, over 100 years old).. The farm adjoining, bordering on Cumberland River, was bought by J.. Stone in 1866 or in 1867 from James Stone, Administrator, and it later developed from some cause that the sale was illegal and Stone had to pay for it again.. (But he never recovered the money paid to James Stone).. He lived on the farm until about 1880-81, then sold out to A.. Green and moved to a farm near Celina, Texas.. Green gave the Stone farm to his daughter, Catherine, wife of Joseph Rich.. Several years after her death, Rich sold to A.. Poindexter.. (Catherine’s son by her first marriage).. who later sold to Kyle Brothers, and now owned by Turner Roberts.. As the Stone families, especially the older ones, were closely identified with development of the county in its earlier days, a brief biography of some of them might be of interest to some people now living.. Stone was born in 1834.. (Parenthetical note: ‘He married my grandmother’s sister Sarah.. ’) (Another note states that John Henry Stone, born 1834, was the son of James Stone, 1800-1838, and his wife Nancy Peterman.. James Stone was the son of George Washington Stone and his wife, Mrs.. Martha "Patsy" Hunter.. Widow Patsy Hunter had one child, a daughter, when she married Geo.. Stone and by her second marriage she had 9 sons, namely Johnnie, Frank, Micajah (Cage), Eusebius (Sib), Billie, Richard, Archibald, James and George.. John Henry Stone, Sr.. married Sarah Ann Gearheart, born 10 January, 1838, died 1879.. Sarah Ann Gearheart was a sister of my grandmother, Ruth Gearheart Hudspeth.. Curtis Stone of Nashville, TN.. is a descendant of this couple.. Several of James Stone and Nancy Peterman’s children were Kate Coe, George Washington Stone, Lewis Stone, Sinah, Martha Ann, Margaret, Rebecca, Elizabeth and John Henry Stone, Jr.. ).. Note: See discussion at the end of this article of the accuracy of the above information.. (He (J.. Stone) remembered when a great portion of this part of the county was almost a primeval forest, infested with all kinds of wild game and deer; the cane brakes on the banks of the rivers were so dense that they were almost impenetrable).. He was married to Miss Sarah Gearheart in about 1856, and lived as heretofore stated, in a log house one mile South of Celina until the beginning of the Civil War (1861).. He volunteered and served in the Confederate Army for four years.. As a result of their union there were born two daughters, Sallie and Mollie; (the former is now living in Texas and the latter is dead); six boys: Hugh, William, James, Ben, Thomas and John.. Hugh now lives near Celina, Texas; John near Sparta, TN.. ; Thomas two miles SW of Celina, TN.. , with William, James and Ben having been dead several years.. After his return from Texas he located on the farm he bought from Vanus Fowler, formerly owned by Rion Brothers, and later, by Henry Eagle.. In a short time, he married Mrs.. Nannie Roberts, widow of William Roberts and the daughter of Amos Tinsley.. From this union were born two girls, Daisy and Alice; five sons, George, Amos, Columbus, Claude and Lee.. Alice died when very young; George moved to Texas when a young man and died there several years ago; Amos married Miss Gladys Smith, a lovable daughter of C.. Smith, and owns and lives on the farm he bought from W.. L.. Stone.. He is an enterprising farmer, a splendid citizen and has the confidence and respect of all who know him.. Lee married Miss Della Smith, an admirable daughter of C.. Smith, and died a few years after his marriage.. Columbus married a daughter of W.. Cook and now lives near Moss, TN.. Claude died some years ago.. Daisy married A.. Tommy Arms, one of the best and most enterprising farmers in the county, loved and respected by all his neighbors.. They have a lovable and intelligent family and now live three miles from Celina, TN.. on the Gainesboro highway.. (Note: Alice Overstreet, Helen Wells, Laura Lee, Amos Arms, Edith Bilbrey and Walter Arms).. Stone lived on his farm until his death, the farm now being owned by C.. Smith and Arthur Nevins.. G.. Stone, an elder brother, was also one of the pioneers of this part of the county.. He was born in about 1830.. He bought, long before the beginning of the war, a farm three miles West of Cumberland River, on the North side of Big Proctor Creek.. He lived there for about a half century, and then moved to a farm on Cumberland River formerly owned by his mother, Mrs.. Nancy Stone, where he lived until his death.. He was twice married, the writer not being informed as to the name of his first wife, but his last wife was Miss Kate Coe.. As a result of their union there were born two sons, Hayden and William L.. Stone; two daughters, Bird and Mary Belle; the latter married Parish Marshall, and Bird married Pleas Amonette.. Both families moved on farms near Van Alstyne, Texas, where they now live.. (Their husbands have been dead several years).. Hayden married Miss Abbie Eagle, a lovable daughter of Henry Eagle of Tompkinsville, KY.. (sister of John H.. Eagle and half sister of Joe H.. Eagle, who represented the Houston, Texas district of Congress for many years).. Two or three years after their marriage, they bought a part of the farm formerly owned by Capt.. Geo.. Stephens, near Liberty Hill, on which they lived for some time and then sold out and moved to a farm near Celina, Texas.. From their union there were born two daughters, Katherine and Lula; five boys, Robert, Edward, Charles, Hugh and Bert.. Hade now lives near Celina, Texas.. His family are all dead except two sons.. William L.. Stone was born in 1860, was raised on the farm heretofore mentioned, married Miss Evaline Williams in December, 1893, lived on the farm with his father until the latter’s death, and then moved to the Old town of Celina where he lived four years.. As a result of their union there were born three daughters, Kate, Ollie and Ruby; one son (the latter lived only two years and one month).. They moved to a farm near Celina, Texas where they lived for two and one half years, then sold the farm and came back and bought the place originally owned by V.. Smith and Samuel Weaver, where they lived until they died.. (W.. Stone died October 6, 1928; Mrs.. Stone, August 15, 1935.. ) Kate married T.. Maxey; Ollie married Fred Maxey and Ruby married S.. Denton; all are now living in Celina, TN.. Stone was one of the best known men in Clay County; was twice elected to the office of Trustee; had a lovable disposition and was a man of the highest order integrity and honor and was loved and respected by all who knew him.. The farm North of the John H.. Stone place, now owned by Turner Roberts, was owned before the war by William Hamilton, father of George W.. and Ferd Hamilton.. (George W.. was Claud Hamilton’s father).. It was later owned by A.. Green and was divided into two tracts.. Green sold his tract bordering on the Cumberland River to H.. Gearheart, who sold to B.. Johnson and it was transferred by Johnson to Allen Skipworth and from Skipworth to Evan Arms.. The tract bounded on the West by Little Proctor Creek was sold by Green to John J.. Brown, on which he lived for several years and sold to Evan Arms, now owned by John H.. Arms, Poindexter Bros.. , and W.. The farm North of the Andrews place, bounded on the North by Big Proctor Creek, on the East by Little Proctor Creek, was known as the Biggerstaff place.. At the close of the Civil War it was owned by William Griffith, and then successively by J.. Hibbeth, Vanus Fowler, Watt Comer, Palo Conkin and now by M.. Hayes.. The next West was the J.. Amonette farm, which was sold several years after the war to A.. Green, who sold to Newton Plumlee and now owned by Plumlee heirs.. The farm North West side of the Cumberland river and South West of the Andrews place, was owned by William Walker for many years before the beginning of the war.. (His family were all grown up  ...   store until his death (May 18, 1902).. After his death it was taken over by his widow, Mrs.. Hattie Brown and by W.. Brown, and the business continued until Christmas night the same year when it was burned down.. Soon after, another store house was built on the same lot now owned by E.. Joshua Haile built a small house east of the W.. Willis house on west side of Martin Street and used as a law office by him and his brother, George.. The same was moved by M.. Sidwell and located on another lot east of where it formerly stood.. The names of the resident doctors at that time were as follows: Jonathan Davis, J.. Chowning, W.. Shields, John Wade, Nelly Hembree, B.. Plumlee and Monroe Anderson.. The names of the resident lawyers were as follows: Benton and John McMillin, Joshua and George B.. Haile, B.. Plumlee, M.. Turner and A.. Green, the latter being one of the most prominent and outstanding figures of his day, more closely identified with interests and development of the different enterprises of the town and county than any other man of his time.. He was not a lawyer by profession and never attended any law school.. Uneducated, but a man of unusual native ability and deeply impressed with the idea that principles of law was, or ought to be, founded upon right and justice.. He perhaps kept more people out of law suits than he represented before the courts.. He would frankly tell all who consulted him whether or not in his judgment they had any chance to win their suits.. He was elected trustee of Clay County for one term and declined to run for a second term.. He represented the people of the Tenth senatorial district in the upper branch of the legislature.. He told the writer that the report was circulated during his race for the senate he had stolen a steamboat, and jestingly remarked, that if he had run again, it would have been proven.. He was for some time interested in the steamboat business.. He was the father of five daughters and one son.. He gave each of them a good farm.. Green, his only son, was a prominent citizen and favorably known all over the country.. He was a merchant for many years and accommodated and helped more people that needed help than any other man in this part of the country, in his day and time.. He served as president of the Bank of Celina from its organization in 1894 until his death.. He was elected trustee of Clay County and declined to run for the second term.. He served one term as county court clerk and also declined to run for a second term.. He married Miss Belle McMillin, cousin of Ex.. -Gov.. Benton McMillin.. There were born to them one son, Robert, and one daughter, Bessie.. The former died when about 18 years old.. Bessie married Paul Mansfield of Glasgow, KY.. , where she now lives.. Green was a man of honor and integrity, honest and fair in all his dealings with his fellowman.. He died in the prime of life well beloved by all who knew him.. George W.. Stephens taught the first school in Celina after the close of the war, in a box house near the residence where E.. Dale now lives.. Later, there were schools taught by Mrs.. Emma Colson, Miss Martha Maxey, J.. Fay Brown and others.. It appears that the people of that time had about lost interest in education.. There was not a good school in the county.. Some of the citizens were interested in the cause of education and the growth of the town and surrounding country.. The citizens got together and proposed to establish a first class school, but the first difficulty that confronted them was a larger, better equipped school building.. They were determined to accomplish their purpose and the difficulty was finally overcome by six men as follows: Isaiah Fitzgerald, A.. Green, John H.. McMillin, J.. Stephens, V.. Smith and William Love; they furnished the money necessary to build Mont Vale College.. McMillin (brother of Benton and John H.. McMillin), a graduate of Burrett College, was elected to take charge of the school, which he conducted successfully for several years.. He was one of the most efficient and thorough teachers the town and county ever had.. There has been a wonderful change and progress in the sciences and arts since the days of McMillin, but many of the older people will not admit that there has been any progress in the mode of teaching and conducting schools in the last 60 years.. Evidently, the instruction received and the knowledge obtained by pupils was more thorough then than now and that they learned more in the different branches they studied in one year than students, with few exceptions, now learn in two years.. One cause for this difference, perhaps, is because parents manifested more personal interest in the intellectual development of their children than they do now.. During the administration of McMillin, which covered a period of about 10 years, all pupils over 10 years old were required every Friday evening to participate in the exercises according to their age and qualifications.. The older boys (had) to declaim, which they had committed to memory, and the older girls (had) to read pieces of their own composition or read or recite some lines of the different poets.. (This was compulsory).. Many parents would show their children they were interested in their progress by their presence which was an inspiration to them to be more studious.. McMillin was a master of the art of elocution and personally trained his pupils and it was a wonderful treat to hear the young ladies read their own essays and the young men declaim.. Those present could imagine they were listening to Megulus before the Roman Senate and Webster, Calhoun and Clay in the Senate Chamber of the United States.. Another reason they were more thorough then was all examinations were oral and thorough in their different studies.. So they would be qualified and ready for the examination.. In addition to the foregoing, debating societies were organized that met once every week and discoursed different topics, mostly historical questions and to intelligently debate them it was necessary to read and study histories.. All these things, which no doubt created interest among the students and parents, have been abandoned and the minds of the children, encouraged by teachers and many parents, diverted and centered on the different games and sports instead of their intellectual development.. Some of the McMillin students made lawyers, doctors, judges and many were school teachers.. One (was a) representative in the Tennessee legislature, later a member of Congress for years, afterward a U.. Senator and now Secretary of State whose name is known all over the civilized world (Cordell Hull).. Some of the teachers at Mont Vale Academy, who followed McMillin, were R.. Fitzgerald, Luther Moore, Douglass Woods, Hill Edwards, O.. Maxey, Rubelt, Scott Smith and others.. In about 1900 when interest in school had abated, the old board of trustees, who had served in former years, had died or moved away, and some of the people were having to send their children to schools away from home, the citizens awoke to the necessity of having a first class school that would accommodate the people of the town and the surrounding country.. A new board of trustees was selected as follows: M.. Smith, W.. Lowery, S.. Anderson and L.. Brown, who employed W.. Boyd, a young mountain boy to come and take charge of the school.. Boyd began his work under the most favorable circumstances and conditions.. He had the hearty cooperation of the trustees and the people of the town and he manifested such zeal and determination that his labors were successful from the beginning.. He was a young man of pleasing appearance and lovable disposition and he soon had the confidence and respect of the people of the town and the community.. The school grew in numbers and popularity so that at the beginning of the second year it became necessary to provide a larger building.. About three thousand dollars was raised by private subscription and Mont Vale Academy was enlarged and remodeled and then became Mont Vale College.. The school continued to grow in numbers and favor until the daily attendance was about 200, more than twice as many as any of his predecessors had.. Boyd’s administration covered a period of about seven years, and he left Celina with the confidence and the respect of all the people.. Since then public schools have taken the place of private schools.. The growth in population of the town and county has been slow, owing to the lack of any manufacturing industries.. The Old Town where most all the business was conducted for three score years, had been abandoned, and the New Town, in the last ten years, had grown both in population and good substantial buildings.. The progress of public schools for many years was slow, and yet the transition in the last 60 years has been great.. If the school children of this age could roll back the tide of time for three score years and see the kind of houses where schools were taught they would be very much surprised and more fully appreciate the conditions and opportunities that surround them at this time.. Then there were not more than three comfortable school buildings in the county; the balance were crude log houses with rough floors, and seats made out of round logs, split in the center and one side hewn smooth with a broad axe, supported at each end by legs of round limbs of trees.. They were about ten inches wide, with no backs and so high that the smaller children’s feet could not touch the floor.. In many of the houses a log cut out, about 6 feet in length in the center of the house, answered for a window.. Then teachers received as compensation for their services $20 per month for a term of three or four months.. Twenty-five dollars per month was the highest any teacher received for several years.. Some teachers had as many as 70 in attendance, all sizes and ages from six to twenty years old, until fodder pulling and molasses making time.. Then the Superintendent of Schools, elected by the county court, would visit all the schools (horseback only means of reaching the schools) at least once each term and investigate and learn the kind of discipline and mode of instruction adopted by each teacher, and of course, to make a speech at each school house.. And this was done in the presence of a house crowded with the parents of the children.. For their services they received $75 per annum, appropriated by the county court, and $2 for examination and certificate issued to applicants, which each teacher was requested to pay.. If an applicant failed to pass the examination, the superintendent, under the law, was permitted to issue a license, provided the patrons of the school in the community where the applicant proposed to teach would give a written endorsement.. Perhaps the greatest factor that has contributed to the improved conditions of schools, is good roads.. The need for good roads began to be talked by a few people about the year 1916, and many of them do not know and some have forgotten that there is one man now living in the town of Celina that was more closely identified with the inauguration of a system of good roads in Clay County (and who) did more to crystallize the sentiment of the people and divert their minds to the importance of a system of good roads than any dozen men in the county.. He prepared the bill, passed by the legislature authorizing the county to vote a bond issue and was uniting in his efforts to have a favorable vote registered by the people.. All lovers of good roads, and especially the school children in Clay County, owe a debt of gratitude to George W.. Barksdale that they can never pay.. (This is the close of the article, but here is a parenthetical insert, added by E.. Excerpts from a letter written by my mother, Jennie Hudspeth Ratliff Allen to her sister Allie Hudspeth Pace of Valley View (Cooke Co.. ), TX.. , dated 1 November, 1950:.. "Dear Allie, On our trip we were in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and across Texas from SE to NW.. I had a particular thrill at the little old town of our birth, Celina, TN.. I felt very sad as we approached the quaint little town.. I suspect it has remained as it was several generations ago.. Just outside the village, I remarked to Walter that it was improbable that even one person was still living who had know our parents (Thomas Jefferson Hudspeth and Ruth Gearhart, married 10 January, 1867).. As we entered the town, Walter suggested that we stop and make inquiry at a big, old home that we were passing.. A woman answered our knock on the door and we told her of our mission.. She invited us in to talk with her father who was in his 90’s.. I asked him if he had ever known our father well- also, many other of our relatives- the Stones, Sims, Fitzgeralds, Gearharts, etc.. He said that Maude Fitzgerald was still living there in the old ancestral home.. We drove down around the square and saw an elderly, white-haired lady on the street and as I was thinking to myself- perhaps that is Maude- Walter said, ‘Maybe that lady is your cousin.. ’ I went into a store to inquire where we might locate Maude Fitzgerald and the woman said that she had seen her pass by the store only a few minutes before.. She volunteered to go with me to find Maude.. She really was the woman we had seen a few minutes earlier.. She (Maude) came with us and we drove around the little town and she pointed out things that might interest me.. We drove to the old home of our great-grandfather, Hugh Roberts, where our grandmother, Sarah (Sallie) Gearhart was born.. Only half of it is still standing and it has long since fallen into a state of disrepair.. Maude told us how to find the old Roberts cemetery where our little sister, Ida Hudspeth, is buried.. We had much trouble finding the old graveyard.. We climbed a very steep hill- having to stop to catch our breaths every few minutes.. After long searching, we spied a little gravestone amid the dense growth of weeds, vines and briers and when we reached it we could make out dim lettering—‘Ida, daughter of T.. and Ruth Hudspeth’ with dates of birth and death.. The little stone was broken off its base and was leaning against a post.. Maude then took us to another old family cemetery of the Gearharts and Fitzgeralds.. It was a little less difficult to move around in but was rather densely covered with growth of vegetation throughout several generations.. We found the grave of our great-grandfather, Valentine Gearhart, Sr.. - the one who wrote the old will (1825).. His monument was standing firmly and I was able to read the dates of birth and death (1775-1835).. We took Maude home and we went into the old house to visit a few minutes.. It was where our mother’s cousin, Ann Gearhart Fitzgerald had lived and her parents before her (Valentine Gearhart, Jr.. and _____ Smith).. Maude’s grandfather was the Valentine, Jr.. mentioned in the old will.. Maude is the only living daughter of her family.. She was next to the youngest of the girls.. Allie, who was the youngest, is deceased.. Maude is still teaching music.. As we were leaving, she said she wanted to give me something to remember her by and she took a little piece off a shelf and gave it to me-(a little white milk glass covered dish shaped like a hen on a nest.. ) Signed, Jennie.. Addendum.. Some discussion is warranted here, as to the ancestor of the Stones as set forth in this article.. The author of this article is only repeating the common lore of the area in stating that George Washington Stone (and some have said, Uriah Stone) is the ancestor of the Stones in Overton County.. Various Overton Co.. deeds are in existence which prove that the ancestor is Micajah Stone, rather than either of the above mentioned men.. Micajah Stone came to Overton Co.. from Henry Co.. , Va.. and his marriage to Martha Cesterson took place there in 1783.. After Micajah Stone’s death, his wife Martha and two sons were administrators of his estate (late 1820’s, early 1830’s).. Later, at the death of one of his sons, other deeds exist which give the names of all seven sons of Micajah and Martha Stone.. These may deeds be found in Overton Co.. also.. The seven sons are: John; Eusebius; Micajah; William; Richard; James; and Jeremiah Stone.. The late W.. Stone, in his book on the Stone and Plumlee families of this area, took the position that the ancestor was George Washington Stone.. Later he wrote a letter to the Clay Co.. newspaper, asking all who had copies of his book to correct them, giving Micajah Stone as the ancestor.. While not proven, the following information may give some insight into the research of the background of Micajah Stone’s wife, Martha: Family lore says that Micajah’s wife was a widow, Patsy Hunter, and she had one daughter at the time she and Micajah married.. In my personal research of the Hunter family, I ran across, in the hands of an elderly relative, the unrecorded will of William Hunter, Sr.. of the same area of Virginia as the Stones.. As the elderly Mr.. Hunter had later deeded his property to his daughter Jane who married William Turner, Sr.. (son of Shadrach Turner) in exchange for her caring for him for his lifetime, there was no need for the will to be recorded at his death.. The will was passed along in the succeeding generations of Mr.. Hunter’s son, John, down to the present generation, a lady in her eighties.. I have seen the will but was not allowed to copy it.. In this will, Mr.. Hunter refers to land he has given his daughter, Martha Stone, and says that it adjoins his land.. The land of Micajah Stone was near Mr.. Hunter’s land, so it would be reasonable to think that Mr.. Hunter’s daughter Martha could first have married a Cesterson (there was a John Cesterson in Henry Co.. , VA.. in that time period).. Perhaps her first husband died or was killed in the Revolution, leaving her with one daughter.. Then she could have married Micajah Stone in 1783.. That would reconcile the rumor with facts.. William Hunter, Sr.. , died about 1814, and that is about the time the Stones left Henry Co.. for Overton Co.. , along with or at the same time as William Turner, Jr.. and James Turner, who would have been first cousins of the seven sons of Micajah and Martha Stone, if my reasoning is correct.. This document was retyped from a copy of the original typescript.. It was sent to me by a fellow researcher.. MSS, 26 Apr 1999..

    Original link path: /clay-county/history/the-story-of-clay-county.html
    Open archive



  •  


    Archived pages: 339